Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Daddy


This is a season of sadness and grief for my family.  As most of you already know I lost my Daddy on Monday morning.  He had not been sick or in poor health at all so it is a complete and total shock.  It started Monday morning at 4:45 am with the phone ringing.  It was my mom telling me my dad was having some chest pain and that she was going to take him to the hospital.  She was also debating on calling an ambulance.  My dad was in the background saying that he was fine, "Arrie tell momma I am fine."  So I told them I would get up and meet them at the hospital.  Then at 4:51 am my phone rang again and my mom told me that he had stopped breathing and was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital.  I bolted out the door and made it from Plano to Lewisville in 13 minutes.  I was able to be in the room with my mom when they were working on him and gave us the news that he was gone.   I then got the whole story from momma.  He usually got up for work at 5 am.  That morning he got up at 4.  He showered and shaved and then got dressed for work.  Then he took off his work clothes and put on jeans and a sweatshirt.  He took of his watch and put his keys in moms purse.  Then he sat down on the side of the bed, woke mom up and asked her to take him to the doctor.  He said his chest pain was not severe at all, just a pulling feeling.  He assured her that he was fine and she says he looked completely normal and even had his usual twinkle in his eye.  They got in the car and he was smiling and laughing.  He got out his reading glasses and read mom a number on her cell phone.  She called her school to let them know she would not be in.  The next second she looked over and saw his head go down like he had fallen asleep.  She knew then he wasn't breathing.  She called 911 and started CPR.  The paramedics were there in 2 minutes but they never ever got him back, even after working for 35 minutes.  We now know that he had a weak wall of his heart and that an aortic dissection burst through.  We know that he was gone from the second he slumped over and that he had NO pain or discomfort.  We are also comforted by the fact that there was nothing we could have done differently as the only way to overcome this condition would have been a heart transplant and that never would have come in time.  It was truly his time to go home to be with God and he took him in a peaceful and quick way.  

In these two days since, I have done things that I never dreamed I would do.  Help make decisions about the service, write an obituary, pick out photos for a DVD etc.  His service this morning was amazing.  305 people attended.  That is A LOT for such short notice and the middle of the week during a work day.  Our preacher said wonderful words about him and there were wonderful memories shared of him.  

I can not even express how wonderful of a man my daddy was.  And there are no words to comprehend how much I will miss him.   He was my daddy, my role model, and one of my best friends.  My parents were married for 36 years and we will all have a hole in our hearts.










16 comments:

the tichenor family said...

you and your family will be in our prayers as you walk through this season of pain, sadness, and change. lots of love to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Arrie,
I am so sorry for your loss. This May will be two years since I lost my dad. You and your family will be in my prayers.
Casey Collier

Kelsey said...

arrie,

you guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

kelsey balch

The Fletchers said...

Sweet Arrie,

Your post really touched my heart. I am hurting for you and your family and can't stop thinking about you guys.

I love you.
Dabney

Anonymous said...

Arrie,

I found your blog through my old roommate Amy... I know I wasn't a good friend to you in college, and for that I deeply apologize. I was very selfish and immature during that stage in my life. I had no self respect and therefore showed no one else the respect they deserved. I am so sorry you were the recipient of my rude and destructive behavior!

Secondly, I wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about your precious Dad's passing. I lost my mother almost three years agoand quickly learned your life changes drastically and forever the moment you lose a parent. My heart truly aches for you and your family during this difficult time. I will be praying for you as your journey through life changes from this unexpected event.

Blessings,

M'chelle

Kellianne said...

Arrie,

I have found your blog through some friends and I just want to say that I am very sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers!

Kellianne

Amy Magallanes said...

Arrie,
I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in our prayers!

ajphillips said...

Arrie,
I'm not really sure how I found your blog, but it's one I read everyday. I live in Abilene...so I'm thinking that's how I linked onto your blog.

I just wanted to tell you that you and your family will be in my prayers, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Ashley

Hyperactive Lu said...

Arrie,

I am so sorry for your loss. Your post was so sweet. I cannot imagine what you are feeling right now. I will definitely be praying for you and your family.

Lauren

Ashley, Kyle, and Baby Boy said...

thinking about you!!!
your daddy will be with you forever in your heart, in your memories, and holding your hand every time you need him- you'll just feel it!

lots of love to you!!

Life as a Spencer! said...

I am just in tears. I cannot imagine these past few days for you and your family. I had heard something had happened and thank you for being open on your blog. That way we can all pray for you guys!
Crystal Spencer

Corrie Loftin said...

Hey Arrie! We don't know each other but somehow I found your blog (I went to ACU so I'm sure that's the link). I just wanted you to know I am praying for you and your family. I have lost both of my parents in different stages of my life and I know how you are feeling. I am sure you are in shock and feel like the world is spinning but have faith that good days will come again, I promise :) You will probably always think about "what if I had done this or that" or "I should have been here or there" and so on and so on but remember it is all in HIS plans and you can take comfort in knowing God is in control.
Random but I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and thinking of you, even though we have never met :)

Joanne B. said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We just had a loved one pass about a year ago and I know how difficult a time this can be. Know that you and your family are in our prayers and hearts.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Look at how many people love you, loved your Daddy, and are praying for you. You are such a good friend to so many, and I hope you recognize all the people who adore you and want you be there for you!!!

You are such an amazing person, and I think you should read my blog about how great you are. I dedicated it to you a week before this happened, and I think it was meant to be so you could look back on it often and hopefully smile or get a laugh out of it :)

Love you sweet Sister and I am so very proud of you!! You have had to grow up even more by handling this loss at such an early age.

Gabe and I are giving you hugs from 2,500 miles away!

Bonniebeewester said...

Arrie-I am so very sorry about your loss of your dad. There are no words. I can't even comprehend what you are oging through. May God be with you and your family during this difficult time. Take care. Bonnie

The Beasley's said...

I haven't checked your blog in awhile, but the tribute you wrote to your daddy is so awesome! I know it was FOREVER long ago that I was ever around your parents, but I remember each of them. Your daddy was so funny and sweet. I'm praying for you and your family.